Subject: Re: ENO Billy Budd
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Dec 2005 10:03:37 -0500

ENO Billy Budd has been an interesting thread, as there has been a review of
nearly every performance of the run. Re-reading it all and thinking back on
my own experience at the 2nd (a week ago last Monday) performance, I note:
(1) Nearly everyone praises Litton and the band. (2) There is ambivalence
about the hydraulic set; (3) The three principals elicit very precisely
argued evaluations that vary night to night. E.g. GR heard the gravel in
Keenlyside's voice at the end of Act I on the broadcast; I heard it in the
brig scene. The conclusion I draw from the latter is that these three are
committed singers functioning at the very limit of their vocal and artistic
ability--as great singers should be. Better that, surely, than hedging bets.
The result it that the imperfections vary a bit, but we should be thankful
that they are giving their all to this great score. This run is definitely
worth the ticket.

Andy Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ