Subject: Re: Favorite Acts
From: Greg Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:00:18 -0800

    Although Puccini isn't my favorite opera composer, several of his
acts seem exceptional to me:
second act of Fanciulla (maybe the best of the lot), first act of
Turandot, and third act of Boheme.
    Third act of Gotterdammerung, second act of Tristan.
    The last act and epilog of Billy Budd.
    Second act of Figaro.
    I enthusaiastically concur with the person who nominated Don Carlo
Act from Phillip's aria through the Grand Inquisitor scene - - I guess
the act depends on which version one is using.

    For some of my very favorite operas, I can't single out one act
from the overwhelming whole. I would especially put Boris, Otello, and
Carmelites into that category. Pick an act, any act.

    Oh, also my most abject, humble apologies for earlier having sent a
message to opera-l that was obviously intended for the listserv. What a
bozo!

Greg Armstrong, anta Barbara, CA    [log in to unmask]

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org