Subject: Re: "An American Tragedy" at the Met, Dec 12
From: DAN KESSLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:35:16 -0500

At 08:30 AM 12/13/05 -0500, Jack Rance wrote:

>All that said, I am seeing TRAGEDY on the 24th and looking forward to it.
OK, after you've seen it, come back and tell us whether or not you
discerned that Picker is an "individual voice."  To me, he's a good mimic
and little else -- what I heard last night was a hodge-poldge of musical
styles, a veritable compost heap of musical ideas and little else!

I admire the operas of Francis Poulenc and Benjamin Britten -- maybe they
did not advance the art form with new musical ideas -- but they are
"individual voices," and you know that when you hear the first bars of
their music -- this does not happen -- as far as I can determine - with
either "Emmerline" or "An American Tragedy."

Best,
Dan Kessler

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org