Subject: favorite act?
From: "Mark S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Dec 2005 06:15:42 -0800

Given the way modern productions combine Acts to  save time and money, who can remember acts by the number, anymore?  Favorite acts and scenes:

  Act II of Tannhauser
  Act I of Die Walkure
  Act I of Don Carlo/s (pref. w. the Fontainebleu scene)
  Act II/III/IV/V (depending on how it's played)  of Don Carlo/s
  Act II of Lohengrin
  The Alvise/Laura scene and the ball scene of La Gioconda
  The Tosca/Mario scene of Tosca Act I
  Act II of Tosca
  Acts I/II/III of Lucia
  The duets and trios of Norma
  The trio of Rosenkavalier
  The clock scene and the Polish scene of Boris Godunov
  The tomb scene of Romeo et Juliette (truthfully, most of the opera)
  The Prologo of Mefistofele
  The love scene of Francesca da Rimini
  The final scene of Adriana Lecouvrer
  The two prison scenes (Gerard and Chenier/Maddalena) from Andrea Chenier
  All of I Capuleti e I Montecchi

  and so many more.

  Mark S.

"Very nice, but tell me frankly, don't you think it would have been better if it had been you who had died, and your uncle who had written the Funeral March"  Gioacchino Rossini, on being shown funeral music for Giacomo Meyerbeer, composed by Meyerbeer's nephew.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org