Subject: favorite act?
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:14:21 -0600

We opera lovers often are asked "what's your favorite opera?" My
response, generally, is to claim whatever opera I'm listening to at
the moment. I can tell you who my favorite composer is (Puccini) and
who my favorite singer is (guess!!!) but I really don't have a
favorite single opera. I've tried, from time to time, to compile a
top ten list and, although it stays approximately the same from year
to year, there are occasional additions and deletions. For the
record, the constants (in no particular order), include Tosca,
Falstaff, Nozze, Hoffmann, Rosenkavalier, Boccanegra, Otello and a
few others.

All of which leads to the basis for my current post. I was just
listening to the Antonia scene of Hoffmann and it occurred to me that
this has to be one of my favorite acts. I think what impresses me
about it the most is the trios. There are three, almost in a row:
Hoffmann, Crespel, Miracle; Antonia, Crespel, Miracle; and Antonia,
mother, Miracle. Miracle, of course, is the common factor in all
three and I find him a totally fascinating character musically and
dramatically.

So do any of you have favorite acts? I have a few others at or near
the top of my list: the Council Chamber scene in Boccanegra; Act III,
sc 2 of Otello; Act II of Nozze; Act III of Rosenkavalier (mostly,
but not entirely, due to the trio).

Kurt Youngmann

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org