Subject: "Arabella" at the Semper Oper: Dresden; Dec 6
From: DAN KESSLER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Dec 2005 16:33:28 -0500

On the occasion of my last visit to Dresden in 1993 -- it was the Arabella
of Felicity Lott which I greatly admired and was sorry that the Met never
gave her the opportunity to perform the role in that house.  Now, it was
Angela Denoke in the title part, equally good and last season gave the Met
one of the best in the role of Marschallin to be seen in a generation.

Although the "Arabella" production was new on the occasion of my last
visit, this Hans Hollman production has begun to fade rather badly...I
mean, after that stunning Peter Mussbach production I saw in May at the
Theatre du Chatelet in Paris (a co-share with Covent Garden) starring
Karita Mattila and Thomas Hampson, the one with the bellhop doing the
Michael Jackson "moon walk."

Still, Ms. Denoke did not disappoint and gave a splendid interpretation of
the role.  Unfortunately, her Mandryka of the evening, one Jukka
Rasilainen, did not measure up, so the evening became a rather one-sided
affair for me.  He has sung Jokahaanan for Dresden and it was apparently
well-received, as were his Wotan and Telramund  elsewhere -- maybe he was
having an off night as Mandryka?

The production was a unit set, built around two massive statues of horses
and an oversized stairway (Arabella hopes to get UP in the world through
marriage --it would seem).  Other directors have gone on to use the
stairway metaphor as well, including Peter Mussbach's which gives us two
levels of stairs above the stage.

There was good support in the cast, including the silvery voiced Zdenka of
Birgit Fandrey.  David Kuebler was our Mateo (he sang the role at the Met
back in the 1994/95 season).

The Dresdener Staatskapelle orchestra, under the baton of conductor Peter
Schneider, soared with an undeniable Straussian sheen, bringing to a close
my special four days of the Dresdener "Richard Strauss Fesstage."

Personen

Graf Waldner              Alfred Kuhn
Adelaide, seine frau     Christa Meyer
Arabella                     Angela Denoke
Zdenka                      Birgit Fandrey
Mandryka                  Jukka Rasilainen
Mateo                        David Kuebler
Graf Elemer                Stefan Vinke
Graf Dominik              Jurgen Hartfiel
Graf Lamoral              Matthias Hennenberg
Die Faikermille           Roxanna Incontrera
Eine Kartenaufschlaegerin     Andrea Iuhle
Welko, Liebhauser des Mandryka   Jurgen Commichau

PAUSE nach dem ersten Aufzug

Begin 19:00 Uhr
Ende 22:00 Uhr

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org