Subject: Re: Callas
From: "Patrick C. Byrne" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Mar 2005 10:01:15 -0500

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 08:39:23 -0600, Daniel Pardo <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Mr. Guitian does it again!  He manages, so easily, to get the Callas fans
all in an uproar like worker ants, to the rescue of their helpless queen!
I, no fan of his, give him credit for expressing what many so freely dish
out on singers they dislike, but can't take when it comes to the one they
worship.

>Who knows?  Maybe he (or  Hermine for that matter), got tired of EMI re-
packaging the same old, same old, or maybe he was there and did not like
what he saw or heard-many did, and many share his opinion.  Just as many
share an opinion (good or bad) on Tucker, Domingo, Caruso, Tebaldi, Alagna,
Milanov, Poggi, Ponselle, Croft, Price, Verrett, Simionato, Cotrubas, del
Monaco, Vickers, Gencer, Corelli, Suliotis, Kunde, Baum, Guleghina,
Nilsson, Margison, Sills, Daniels, Freni, Carreras, Protti, Obratsova,
Cura, Caballe, Bruson, Kasarova, Dieskau, Bergonzi, Scotto, Merritt,
Milnes, Zampieri, and more recently, "Hunt-Lieberson vs Larmore,"...the
list is as endless as there are singers.

>I wonder what these singers would think if they knew of these battles,
more importantly, would they care?  Or do (did) they laugh all the way to
the bank?

>Daniel

>From the above list I would imagine only Carerras would equal or top the
reason to "laugh all the way to the bank" with Callas. Her estate of over
$13 million at her death was due to her operatic recordigns, among the top
selling ever, and her fees. While so many went through the grind of another
old shop-worn production at less than $1500 a night, Callas stepped
onstage, resplendent in the most expensive designer gowns with a half a
million around her swan neck and dazzled with a series of arias that
brought her over $10.000 every night.

She left the stage entrance swathed in chinchilla, not some slightly worn
coat purchased at a shop for pre-owned pelts(which was frequented by
several famous but frugal divas).

You are right about the laughing. She is laughing at all the endless
chipping at her legend, which like Gibraltar, will last far beyond the life
spans of any on this NG.

Regards,
Patrick Byrne

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org