Subject: Re: Der Rosenkavalier/Met/innovative subtitles?
From: Diva Blaque <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:35:05 EST

I'm sure there are others who can elaborate on this, but I believe the
English "slang" is used to represent the "German" slang in the Rosenkavalier text.
For example, one slang is used for Annina and Valzacchi to represent their
Italian accents that would be heard in their pronunciation of German; and
another slang is used to represent the different dialects of people from different
classes.   I'm not sure if I said that correctly, hence my first sentence that
I'm sure there are others who can elaborate on this.   I also remember being
told some of the German text being sung needed to be accented or pronounced
differently to respect the Austrian vs. the German pronunciation of words.

Hope this helps a bit.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org