Subject: Lyric Opera Die Walkure
From: Scott Tisdel and Stefanie Jacob <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Mar 2005 01:27:00 -0600

Date:         Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:29:16 -0800
From: Greg Berg <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]

>Bergitas here.
>
>I nearly missed last night's Die Walkure at the Lyric
>Opera of Chicago because I really should have been
>teaching my opera class at Carthage. . . but when
>fellow Lister Marshall Anderson mentioned that this
>was likely to be the last time we got to see Domingo
>on the opera stage, I had to make it happen.
>Fortunately, three of my eight students had to be
>absent last night so I decided to cancel class - and
>it's the best decision I've made in a long time.  This
>was a glorious evening and one that will not be soon
>forgotten.  First of all, it's gratifying to see so
>many people flocking to an opera house to see the Ring
>Cycle... in an age of sound bytes, it is nothing short
>of miraculous that so many of us plunked down good
>money to experience a five hour opera.  And it was
>equally gratifying to see so many of those people
>staying to the last moments of the curtain call;  get
>to the end of Don Pasquale and it seems like half the
>crowd is suddenly fleeing for their lives before the
>first curtain call has even begun. . .  but at the end
>of Die Walkure almost no one left their chairs until
>that final curtain had at last descended.  Maybe
>there's hope for the human race after all.
>
>Placido Domingo was in superb form in what is probably
>one of the only operatic roles that he can still sing
>with any sense of complete assurance.  The sound
>seemed absolutely untouched by time; only in the last
>measures of act one did we have a sense that we was
>having to husband resources - and the tiniest sense of
>hoarseness intruded in the climactic moments, but
>otherwise this was supreme singing.  The place, of
>course, went absolutely nuts at his solo curtain call
>after act two--  and we were pleasantly surprised that
>we got to see him at the stage door after the
>performance.  (Siegmund dies in act two, and most
>Siegmunds, having taking their solo bow, would have
>been out of there immediately- but Domingo must have
>remained in his dressing room, relaxing - or maybe
>watching some of the performance.   We saw Marta,
>too.)
>
>Michelle DeYoung was a wonderful Sieglinde - not quite
>a Voigt, especially in the upper reaches, but singing
>with a warm and opulent sound and very vivid dramatic
>presence.   I would certainly take her over Janowitz
>any day of the week.
>
>James Morris was magnificent as Wotan; if anything he
>sounded still better than his last Wotan here two
>years ago.  The sound seemed bigger and richer and
>more all-embracing - and the dramatic nuances of his
>portrayal more telling.  There was a hint of
>hoarseness towards the very end of the opera - in some
>of the last tender phrases - but aside from that he
>was astonishing.  It was fun to see him leave the
>opera house with wife Susan and kids in tow - plus a
>small dog- all of whom got into a cab with Mr. Morris
>taking the front seat next to the driver, grappling
> [...]

Wonderful post, with which I agree 100%.  I think
many of us, myself included, had the feeling that
we would be hearing Domingo for the last time,
which made his slight problems at the end of Act
I even more poignant.  (A nearby audience member
thought they saw him weeping during his Act I
curtain call.)  I was wondering at intermission
how he would fare in Act II, but if anything he
was even more impressive-- A very moving and
beautiful portrayal.

A word too about Jane Eaglen.  Like many I was
secretly hoping for her continued indisposition,
having been unimpressed with her in the past
(particularly her Isolde at Lyric from 5-6 years
ago).  But she was wonderful as well--  Her
entrance in Act II had a playful, almost
adolescent quality that was very endearing, and
the bond between her and Wotan was immediately
established.  Throughout she seemed more animated
and involved than when I had seen her in the
past-- Perhaps we have director Herbert Kellner
to thank for that.  And, as always with Ms.
Eaglen, one must talk about that magnificent
instrument of hers, which (as Greg says) seems to
possess brilliance and warmth in almost equal
measure, and almost limitless reserves of power.

Equal kudos go to Michelle De Young and James
Morris.  (I did not enjoy Eric Halfvarson's
overwrought, cartoonish portrayal of Hunding.)  I
have not seen Voigt in Walküre, but it is hard
for me to imagine a more perfect Sieglinde than
De Young.  She's beautiful to look at, gorgeous
to hear, and is a moving and passionate actress.
I'm of the opinion that Sieglinde has the most
consistently glorious music in all of Walküre,
and De Young embodies my ideal for what this
character should be.

Perhaps most impressive of all was Morris.  As
one who knows him primarily through the various
Met broadcasts, I was astonished by the impact of
his voice live.  I was riveted by his portrayal,
even in those places when one's attention might
wander, such as the scene with Fricka (Larissa
Diadkova, also wonderful), or his Act II
monologue (which was perfomed uncut, as far as I
could tell).  And his Act III farewell to
Brünhilde  contained some of the most gorgously
spun out pianissimo phrases that I have ever
heard-- The entire audience seemed awestruck-- I
certainly was!

So, it was a magnificent evening, as was
Rhiengold from Monday.  I can't wait for parts 3
& 4!  If I needed to be reminded that this was a
very special evening, I certainly got it when,
during the Act I intermission, who should walk
right past me but Reneé Fleming, on her way to
her seat in the front of the orchestra!  Our eyes
met for a split second, and I thought about
asking her when we might hear HER Sieglinde, but
when it came right down to it, I just didn't have
the guts.  (And yes, for those that are
wondering, she did stay to the bitter end!)

Scott Tisdel
Milwaukee, WI

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org