Subject: Re: Portamento
From: Joel Lazar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:38:28 -0500

Rather than inventing the wheel in each exchange of email, may I suggest
looking first at Robert Philip's pathbreaking study "Early Recordings
and Musical Style" [Cambridge University Press, 1992], which deals
extensively with orchestral as well as solo string and wind playing
1900-1950.

While I do not agree completely with his descriptions and conclusions,
particularly regarding American orchestral woodwind playing [as an
ex-clarinettist turned conductor], the systematic nature of his
discussion of vibrato and portamento has much relevance to the operatic
situation.

I'm told that two other studies, one by him, "Performing Music in the
Age of Recording" [Yale University Press, 2004] and one by Timothy Day,
  " A Century of Recorded Music: Listening to Musical History" (Yale
University Press, 2000) are important contributions to the field.

Best wishes.

Joel Lazar
Bethesda MD

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org