Subject: Re: Trills
From: Vince Chau <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:09:56 -0500

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:15:06 -0500, Ivy Lin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Gheorghiu doesn't have a trill at all, as far as I can tell. Certainly she
>fugdes them whenever necessary. Fleming has a real trill.

I think Gheorghiu does.  Her "Mercè, dilette amiche" (Verdi Heroines) has
some wonderful ones.  She is supposed to trill really well in the aria from
Chérubin (Angela Gheorghiu - Arias), but I have not heard that one.

>HISTORICALLY
>Lilli Lehmann, Erna Berger, Hilde Gueden, Frieda Hempel, Selma Kurz,
>Marcella Sembrich, Adelina Patti, Zinka Milanov, Maria Caniglia (sort of a
>surprise but she can), Helen Traubel (another surprise), Marjorie Lawrence,
>Anna Moffo,

Moffo's trills have never satisfied me.  They are either really poor or
really weak.

>AS A POSTSCRIPT
>It's always a joy to hear tenors and baritones who trill very well.
>Bergonzi, Domingo, and Tucker all sing the trills in "Ah si ben mio."
>Bjorling sings them in 1939, then doesn't in his commercial recording.
>Thomas Hampson, DFD, and Dmitri Hvorostovsky sing the trills of the Posa.

Sherrill Milnes also sings Posa's trills.  I believe Posa has three trills,
two in "Carlo ch'è sol - il nostro amore" and one in the first part of his
double-aria finale (death scene).

Vince

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org