Subject: Re: Trills
From: Braden Mechley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 20:52:57 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

> Hearing Harteros sing only three real trills in the March  26
> performance of Simon Boccanegra I saw, I now wonder about  trills.

How many more did you want her to sing?  There are the big ones in the
Council Chamber scene; what else?

> Besides Fleming, Gheorghiu, and Orgonasová, who else
> (soprano-wise) has a real trill?

I don't think of Angela Gheorghiu as one of our champion trillers.

Ruth Ann Swenson, whatever her flaws, has a superb trill --  world-class.
There has been some discussion recently of whether Edita  Gruberova still trills
well, but last I heard she continued to do so  beautifully.

Given their chosen repertoire, June Anderson and Natalie Dessay are
surprisingly less than wonderful in this regard (even at her peak this was not  one of
Anderson's strengths).

Braden Mechley

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org