Subject: Re: Cavalleria recording suggestions
From: Jon Alan Conrad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 19:17:59 -0500

On Mar 30, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Iris Henze Hue wrote:

> Here are some I am tempted by:

> Erede; Tebaldi, Bjoerling, Bastianini -- I love all these singers,
> this must be good.

It is. It's sort of the "high-class example of the traditional Italian
approach" (yes, Bjoerling too). Erede doesn't aspire to be more than a
supportive accompanist, but does it well (many conductors today could
learn to emulate his unassuming contribution). Tebaldi's rich and
mellow voice and generous temperament has a lot to offer in a role she
never sang onstage, Bjoerling matches her in passionate lyricism, and
Bastianini's all-out energy is perfectly suited to Alfio.

> von Karajan; Cossotto, Bergonzi, Guelfi --great singers and conductor

This is equally fine in a very different way. Karajan does one of his
best operatic jobs, conjuring a world of color, detail, and life from
the score -- just what we ought to hope a symphonic conductor can bring
to opera, but so seldom happens. Cossotto is splendid in her role,
Bergonzi shows that a tenor of his weight and type can be completely
right as Turiddu if he really knows what he's doing, and Guelfi roars
thrillingly through Alfio's music.

Both are first-rate recordings of complementary types.

Jon Alan Conrad
Department of Music
University of Delaware

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org