Subject: Cavalleria recording suggestions
From: Iris Henze Hue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:31:11 -0500

Having recently suffered through Cavalleria rusticana at the Met (the worst
conducting I've heard in years), I needed to listen to some good recordings
of this opera. I have a very good live version from La Scala, 1955 with
Simionato and Di Stefano, Votto conducting, and the old Molajoli/Arangi-
Lombardi version from the 20s. I have the lp of the Callas Cav/Pag set and
definitely want it on cd, but I'm holding off for the cheaper version
certain to come in the next couple of years. (EMI is still price gouging on
this one).
I'd still like to buy another, and I'd like some suggestions. Here are some
I am tempted by:
Erede; Tebaldi, Bjoerling, Bastianini -- I love all these singers, this
must be good.
von Karajan; Cossotto, Bergonzi, Guelfi --great singers and conductor
La Scala live in Tokyo set with Cav/Pag, Simionato in Cav, Tucci and Del
Monaco in Pag -- low cost for both.

Any opinions on these and/or others?

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org