Subject: Re: Great Jewish Tenors
From: "Yoel L. Arbeitman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:51:21 -0500

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 14:44:21 -0500, Victor Han <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Mike,
>
>According to information we had more recently, after the "Stars of David",
>was published, it seems that Georgi Vinogradov was not a Jew.

Some five years ago, Victor, you in one of your programs on Vermont Public
Radio (of which I was able to get CD-Rs happily) introduced me to
Vinogradov, Blachut, Noreika, and many other relatively unknown in the West
great singers. Your invaluable lessons took some years to make these voices
very appealing to me. You never told me and your audience at that time that
so and so was Jewish or non-Jewish and that is all to the good as their
voices either speak to me or they don't. For a long time they did not but
that had nothing to do with my knowing whether or not they were
circumcised:-).
Here is what Lord Lawrence Friedman is his excellent notes to the Guild 4CD
set of Vinogradov says:
"As is often the case with Soviet era singers, very little is known about
the life of Georgi Pavlovich Vingogradov. It has been reported that he was
born on 16 November 1908 in the  city of Kazan, the capital of the Tatar
Republic. However who was he? Who were his family?".
No answers are given and the rest of the notes are devoted to the
recordings on the 4 CDs and the missing complete operas in which he was
broadcast. While I do not usually listen to "recital disks" of a single
singer and vastly prefer myself to listen to whole operas, this set is a
treasure for many reasons.
As to the 1941 Barbiere perhaps more tomorrow.
Cheers,
Yoel

 Der Bach singt voller Wohllaut durch das Dunkel.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org