Subject: Re: Hunt-Lieberson vs. Larmore
From: William Fregosi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:22:36 -0500

At 10:15 AM -0500 3/30/05, Leonardo Ciampa wrote:
>To my ear, Hunt-Lieberson is still a Boston
>mezzo  an Early Music mezzo of questionable
>technique.  And unlike Hunt-Lieberson, who honed
>her skills in a church in Boston, Larmore honed
>her skills in EUROPE!

I guess I managed to miss exactly when "early
music" became a dirty word or a disqualification
for singing anything else well.  Let's put before
us the example of Jon Vickers.  He sang Nerone in
Monteverdi's L'INCORONAZIONE DI POPPEA and a fair
amount of Handel (MESSIAH, SAMSON, probably other
things as well).  That's "early music."  He was
also a premiere Siegmund, Otello, Aeneas,
Florestan, Peter Grimes, etc.  I'm not sure
exactly how "early music" ruined him for the
heroic roles.

Oh, EUROPE!  Oh, that explains it all.  Thanks.
Would you like opera-l's membership to list all
the great American singers who honed their skills
ONLY in the U.S.?  All the absolute duds who have
come to us from Europe?  Nobody has the monopoly
on developing good voices or bad ones for that
matter.

Ms H-L has sung contemporary opera and French
grand opera at the MET, heroic Mozart and Handel
roles at New York City Opera, Glyndebourne, in
Boston, along with Carmen and Berlioz's Beatrice
(where you actually could have heard her) and
elsewhere.  Her technique is absolutely
superb--were it not, she wouldn't be in the vocal
condition she enjoys today

Ms. H-L sings with Emmanuel Music which has as
its performance venue a church in the Back bay
section of Boston.  She has also sung in Boston's
Symphony Hall, The Majestic Theater and Sarah
Caldwell's close to 4000 seat Opera House as well
as at the MET.  She wasn't singing "Nearer My God
to Thee" accompanied by a church organist at
Emmanuel either--but Handel's HERCULES, et al.

>However, listening to the discs, without the distraction of
>costumes and scenery, Larmore is clearly superior, vocally and
>technically.

Leonardo you HAVE to take the friendly advice
given you in a supportive manner by many of us
and GET OUT OF THE HOUSE AND SEE/HEAR LIVE
PERFORMANCES.  The scenery and teh costumes, the
props and lighting and the STAGE are the whole
point.  Live performance in an opera house just
as the composers and librettists intended.  If
you insist on relying solely on heavily mediated
sound you will have NO idea of what voices are
really doing and you will undermine your own
credibility time and time again.

>In a very strange interview in the September, 2002, issue of Gramophone,
>famous countertenor David Daniels said:
>"Here's a person whose whole body is involved in
>the singing, the acting, the character and the
>emotion and she gives the most natural, honest
>performances you'll ever see."  "There's more
>emotion [in Handel] there than you'd encounter
>in a Verdi opera [SIC!!!], because in Handel's
>operas there's a power of emotion that can be
>put into the context of right now and she does
>just that. Its incredible."
>No.  Incredible is the stupidity of a counter-tenor whose brain is stuck
>in 1759.  Verdi less emotional than Handel?  The word "stupidity" has
>to be used, because a weaker word just wouldn't be appropriate.

I think I would be VERY careful before throwing
words like "stupidity" and "stupid" around
concerning an artist like David Daniels.  For one
thing he actually performs live on stage, and
doesn't just listen to--or sing on--recordings.
He works with other singers, they prepare roles
and productions together with top conductors and
stage directors.  They know their craft and their
art.  Daniels has had, and continues to have, a
very major career at the top of his particular
vocal category.  If he expresses an opinion, I
think I might just consider it for a while before
trashing it and him.

Is there more emotion in Verdi or Handel?  I
don't attend opera with a portable Emotionometer,
so I can't document the percentages for you, but
I do know that I have SAT IN AN ACTUAL OPERA
HOUSE where a large audience was moved to
heartbreak over Cleopatra's "Piangero la sorte
mia" from GIULIO CESARE as sung by Susan Larson,
one of the most emotionally  devastating
performances of anything I have ever heard live.

And here again, Leonardo, you have to get out
more.  If you did you would know that
contemporary singers, conductors and
directors--YES, stage directors--have found a way
into Handel's emotional world that brings out the
true depth and pathos of the great laments and
tragic arias.  They find these emotions
absolutely up to date and understandable by
modern audiences.  If you just listen to
recordings from the "I am an adult woman
pretending to be a prepubescent boy" school of
Handel singing--that Ms H-L does NOT subscribe
to--you will have no idea of the amount of
genuine joy, fear, sadness, exultation, love,
humor, despair, anxiety, happiness and just plain
EMOTION there is in Handel.

Bill Fregosi

--
William Fregosi
Technical Coordinator for Theater Arts     Ph: (617) 253-0862

        I live through risk.  Without risk, there is no art. You should always
        be on the edge of a cliff about to fall down and break your neck.

Carlos Fuentes

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org