Subject: Re: Hunt-Lieberson vs. Larmore
From: Anthony Sbordoni <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:36:37 EST

Well, I don't intend to bash Ms. Larmore to defend Hunt-Lieberson. I've
actually enjoyed Larmore's performances the couple times I've heard her. I've
only encountered
Hunt-Lieberson twice in the theater: In the premiere of The Great Gatsby
(her Met debut) and in Les Troyens. Gatsby revealed a formidable artist, and yes
a singer with "presence," in a less than star turn. But as Dido, she proved
herself a singer and actress of the first rank. This was no mere church
singer,  no early music wimp. With a voice of power and beauty and a magnetic
persona she  dominated the stage whenever she was on it. Her final scenes in that
opera were  unforgettable. Perhaps, Mr. Ciampa needs to have seen her outside of
her church  jobs, which it seems, she has long ago left behind. Perhaps she
has only sung  two roles at the Met, but that is not to say there may not be
more in her  future. I note that Ms. Larmore has not been on that stage in 3
years. All this  proves nothing other than, perhaps, availability and repertoire
for both singers  may not permit their constant presence at the Met.

I think it unseemly to call Daniels "stupid" for his opinion on Handel vs.
Verdi. I don't happen to agree with him, but we are dealing with two great
composers and perhaps Handel speaks to Mr. Daniels in a more immediate way than
does Verdi. So it goes.

Tony Sbordoni, NYC
(212)  988-7926

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org