Subject: Re: Golden Girl in NY SUN
From: hermine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2005 03:43:05 -0800

At 06:51 PM 3/28/05, Patrick Giles wrote:
>A piece about Puccini's FANCIULLA DEL WEST appeared in today's NY SUN.
>Here it is:
>A Deeper, Darker, Truer America
>Classical Music
>
>BY PATRICK GILES
>  March 28, 2005
>
>It was 95 years ago that the Metropolitan Opera Company pulled out all PR
>stops to prepare the public for the world premiere of "The Girl of the
>Golden West," billed as "An American Opera." No one seemed to mind that
>label then, except for the work's composer - the Italian Giacomo Puccini.

Once again, one of Big Herm's favourite opera surfaces. little did Puccini
know that he had invented the Spaghetti Western.
I always thought that one of the underlying  blistered nubs of wretched
resistance to this piece was its blatant sexuality. in regular operas, the
ladies swoon and emote,  The men clutch at them and gaze at them like moon
calves,  they  wring their hands and clutch at their abundant garments, and
sing, yes, they sing of LOVE and loss of love, love reunited with love,
love ended by death, love until it comes out of your ears, but that is not
really the  ultimate satisfying place for it. in Fanciulla, there is the
prototype for that which came afterwards in films,  the french doors
swinging, the windows left open and  the drapes  white and billowing in the
wind, all of this to let us know that something disorderly and perhaps even
a touch violent has taken place, and LOVE has been made by two people.  Who
needs arias when there is so much blatant sex? The orchestra is well
informed and certainly does its best to share its knowledge with us.

Herm Predicts that fifty years from now, peeps will be writing about what a
strikingly modern work is La Fanciulla. And I am betting on some real hot
stagings. Bodices coming undone, or at least the sound of a bit of cloth
ripping....Sort of like half-time at a certain football game. HAH! only
kidding about that part!

hermine

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org