Subject: RoH Rheingold & Walkure (Act I) on TV
From: David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:51:03 +0100

Dear All,

What were your impressions of the Covent Garden Ring
on TV?

I thought the sets were fairly ugly, failing to
establish a coherent world under threat.  My heart
sank with the opening swriling graphics at the start
of Rheingold.  I expected the Tardis to appear at any
moment!  Also, Alberich boating down a ramp towards
the Rheinmaidens just looked cheesey and contrived.

The sight of Alberich lobotomising and 'consuming' his
downtrodden workers (geddit?) was about as subtle as a
brick.  And pretty sickening to look at.

I liked the appearance of the giants with siloutettes
on the screen behind, but why the conehead and long
fingers?

Siegmund was disappointingly temulous although Hagen
was excellent - a threatening presence and black
voice.  Langridge seemed to relish playing Loge,
giving his character motivation and depth.

I did not feel I was drawn mentally into the world of
Wagner's Ring or care sufficiently about the
characters onstage.

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org