Subject: Re: living and dying
From: Jay Kauffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 30 Mar 2005 05:26:46 -0800

A supreme artist and I'll go out on a limb and say that in many ways she really can't be compared to anyone else. I feel the same way when I watch Garbo - there is something incandescent about them - they were both born to be on the stage and film and thats where they came alive ( I have a feeling that they were both rather dull people off stage ) My late Dad took me to see the second Tosca at the MET in New York when I was just a tyke - I rememeber every detail of that performance. Of course you really have to see her to get the full effect - fortunately we do have that Act II Tosca along with the Paris one and some recitals. Even in the sad final recitals ( I have the one from London which is one of the worst vocally) she BECOMES the character she is singing. Some very few people were put on this earth for a special reason (no not all of us were but I won;t get into that) and she was certainly one.  Best Jay

Robert Baxter <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I just watched the TDK DVD Maria Callas Living and Dying For Art. In 60 minutes, the film presents a compelling statement of how art and life intersected in Callas' portrayal of Tosca.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org