Subject: Re: The Covent Garden tails wags the BBC dog
From: Tim Lockley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:03:35 -0500

Hi everyone,
I am not sure how many of the list heard the piece on BBC Radio 4's PM this afternoon, but they
devoted about 5 mins of the  programme to last night's Walkure on TV. For those who missed it,
the official line from the BBC's head of live music (or some such title) was that the ROH hoped all
week that Bryn would be well, and only flew in Robert Hale from Germany on Sunday. Hale didn't
have time to really learn the camera moves according to this guy. It was the ROH that asked the
BBC to broadcast just act 1, and they agreed to it (and I enjoyed it!). The broadcast on May 7th will
be of pervious performances, and the reason this was not shown yesterday was apparently
something to do with editing, i.e. they  didn't have time to edit the previsouly taped performances
together how they would like. They will re-broadcast act 1, together with acts 2 & 3, so the entire
Walkure will appear on another Bank Holiday Monday. I don't think Wagner fans can really
complain - I will certainly be watching.
Yours
Tim Lockley

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org