Subject: Re: iTunes and "the gap."
From: Theodore Weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2005 11:39:06 -0700

I recently purchased a rather expensive CD player with a 40 gig storage
capacity.  I recorded an opera and discovered the "click-gap" problem.
I thought this must be a defect, and the dealer promptly replaced the
unit for me. He had never encountered the issue before.  The new unit
was the same. To prove a point, I recorded the same opera on my
computer using iTunes, and lo, no gap.

However, close listening revealed that the "solution" iTunes uses
simply covers up the problem by joining the gapped segments.  The
intervening music, perhaps a second or less, is just missing, and the
click is still audible.  This is not usually noticeable even in opera
recordings, because the "cue" marks usually occur at the end of arias
or ensembles where the music is either quiet or on a sustained note.
There are many instances, however, when it is obvious, especially if
you know the music well.

Ted Weis

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org