Subject: Re: A troll? Was Hunt-Lieberson vs. Larmore
From: Gene Gessert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 31 Mar 2005 22:05:24 -0500

Larmore was a soprano manquee, the CESARES with her interpolated high C's
were a joke, there was no bottom to the voice.   I heard 2 in 2 seasons, I
was humoring someone.  For me, her best was CENERENTOLA, and the worst,
Giulietta in HOFFMAN.  There is no power in the voice.

Hunt Lieberson is an artist and very intelligent.  I just do NOT like the
quality of the voice.  I find it dry and sheenless even in TROYENS, or
Handel.  As for "Mein Herz schwimmt in Blut" I much prefer Auger.
Granted I love Callas' voice and find it attractive, but Hunt Lieberson's,
no.  And then she sang the worst Act 4 CARMEN ever with Carerras in the 3
tenors-- all over the hill-- at the MET "GALA" in 2000.

GG

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org