Subject: Re: Callas
From: Al **** <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:53:33 +0000

>Who knows?  Maybe he (or  Hermine for that matter), got tired of EMI
>re-packaging the >same .old, .same old, or maybe he was there and did not
>like what he saw or heard-many did, and >many share his opinion.  Just as
>many share an opinion (good or bad) on Tucker, Domingo, Caruso, >Tebaldi,
>Alagna, Milanov, Poggi, Ponselle, Croft, Price, Verrett, Simionato,
>Cotrubas, del Monaco, >Vickers, Gencer, Corelli, Suliotis, Kunde, Baum,
>Guleghina, Nilsson, Margison, Sills, Daniels, Freni, >Carreras, Protti,
>Obratsova, Cura, Caballe, Bruson, Kasarova, Dieskau, Bergonzi, Scotto,
>Merritt, >Milnes, Zampieri, and more recently, "Hunt-Lieberson vs
>Larmore,"...the list is as endless as there >are singers.

>Daniel

I like your list Daniel, add Warren, Merrill, Caruso, Gigli, Bjoerling,
Ferrier and that frenchman with a name like a cash register ..........Thill
...and then remove Vickers, Poggi, Milnes, Cura and Dieskau and you have two
thirds of the list of my favourite singers of all time.
All the raving about Callas is true, she was who Geraldine Farrar should
have been talking about when she said "She is as nearly perfect as it is
humanly possible to be" unfortunately she was talking about Galli Curci who
sounded like a lost sheep in a thunderstorm. Callas was human and she was
not very smart, she knew how to work ok and she did just that, she also had
an inbuilt sense of the dramatic and she was the finest actress ever to
grace the Operatic stage, in spite of all that claptrap that was written
recently about her silent screen like performance in the Tosca film, never
take heed of anything written about acting unless you know that the author
knows her/ his subject, I happen to love Opera, but I don't know much about
it, I do however know theatre very well., it has been my entire life and I
can tell you all that Callas was a very fine actress with more natural
ability than most actors are usually blessed/ cursed with.
Callas sang too much tried too hard to please a lot of people , many of whom
did not deserve to be pleased at all, she also made bad choices and
unfortunately she was not the kind of human being who was prepared to seek
out and keep good council, she tried to fight back head on and alone and she
was ultimately defeated, not only by her enemies but by life itself. She was
a magnificent artist for a short time, one of the very best in the history
of Opera, but, If Callas had had even an ounce of good balance and good
sense, she would never have fallen as she did and even if she had, she
certainly would never have embarked on that final tour, it was a shocker in
every way.

Regards,  Isaac

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org