Subject: Re: devia today
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:20:22 +0100

Many thanks for all your replies!

Devia?s technique is indeed incredible. A focused tone like hers is a true rarity in bel canto. We have it in the spinto repertoire (Tebaldi being the best example I can think of) but in bel canto, sopranos either had a truly wonderful, firm middle register but not an extended enough top to nail Es and Ds (Freni and Caballe for example) or had the top, but the middle was weak or not well supported or mushy. Devia really filled in the gap for me.

I would love to hear her in Norma too although I doubt if she has a good enough low register. On the other hand, Gruberova tackled the role recently and she is a much lighter soprano than Devia to my ears. Elisabetta in Roberto Devereux would be a superb role for her.

Moreover Devia proves that what has been posted on the list in the past is wrong, namely that today?s radio broadcast sound is responsible for the wobble of current singers. Her late (?98) live Adelia performance was recorded too closely for my taste but her top notes are perfectly focused. The same goes for her middle although it is already becoming heavier (still no wobbles though).

Best wishes,

Takis

Steve Charitan <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I have her Amenaide from Pesaro Tancredi 2001 - equally astounding that she more than holds her own with Florez in the full flush of his prime...I too would like to hear her Norma

Steve Charitan