Subject: Re: Jolson & Caruso
From: hermine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 29 Mar 2005 00:32:03 -0800

>So Jolson waited until the crowd had quieted down, and then he told them,
>'Ladies and gentlemen, you ain't heard nothin' yet!'"
>
>George Burns, "All My Best Friends" (New York, 1989), p. 69
>
>***
>
>Leonardo.

Welp, this is not about opera AS SUCH, but it is that kind of story like
the one you just told.

It seems that Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Berry were scheduled to appear at
the same venue, same  night, and it was not clear who was going to follow
whom. some sort of backstage wrangling took place, and what with one thing
and another, Jerry Lee Lewis LOST, and had to open for Chuck.

but did he really, really lose?

  YOU BE THE JUDGE.

  he ended his set with GREAT BALLS OF FIRE, and at some point in the piece
he took out a can of lighter fluid, doused the piano, and tossed in a book
of matches. the piano burst obligingly into flame, Jerry Lee continued to
play it, and the crowd went crazy. after the piano was  no longer playable,
but still burning, he exited, walked right into Chuck Berry and said,
"Follow THAT!"

  and this was told to me by another musician who was there so don't go
sayin' i made this up or anything like that.

my only great sorrow is that I was not there to see the burning piano, but
oh, my friends, can you IMAGINE!

great Balls of FIRE! from THE KING!

hermine

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org