Subject: Re: Tristan und Viola/recognizable voices
From: Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:18:23 -0500

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:14:35 -0800, Myra Norma <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> I post a glowing review of the *visuals* from a *visual arts* critic,
but some crumdgeon on the list who posted a review already had to
reiterate his dislike of it.

Which is it? A "crumudgeon" or "crumdgeon'? Is "crumbbum" slipping in
there? That's one of my father's favorite epithets.

Anyhow, on recognizable voices - I don't get many opportunities to test my
skills - if I am hearing opera, it's almost always because I put on the CD
or whatever. So it would be easy for me to label voices as "recognizable" -
 and perhaps another thing to demonstrate it.

I remember some weeks ago hearing a tenor and thinking "I know this voice"
but being completely unable to name the singer - it was Roberto Alagna.

Then there was the time I bought the Gala "Marouf" set, and disc two
turned out to be a live "Aida." After a minute or so I recognized Placido
Domingo's Radames. I don't remember if I eventually recognized Leontyne
Price, but I did a little research and discovered Gala had had an "Aida"
with Domingo/Price from a Met performance - I guess it had only been
available overseas. Anyway, Borders took the set back and I got the
whole "Marouf."

The only time I have confidently answered a Met broadcast quiz voice
identification, I think it was because I had the particular recording. It
would be kind of fun if someone would put up a number of clips without the
singers identified and see how many we could guess.

C Mullins (curmudgebum)

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org