Subject: Recognizable Voices
From: mrmyster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:04:18 -0700

Because a voice is distinctive does not necessarily mean
it is a good thing. Try these:

Jeanette MacDonald - nobody sounds quite like that.
Nadine Conner -- I have guessed her blind more than once
  though might have confused her with MacDonald.
Lotte Lehmann -- quite distinctive, not always pretty, short top
James Melton - a very 'southern-cracker' sound, reflecting his
   gospel background, but you sure know 'tis Jimmy
Richard Crooks -- Big Sissy sound
Melchior - singular sound. Bleaty at times, effective
Maggie Teyte - indescribable - air and words.
Theodate Johnson - also indescribable (Philip's sister
   gave private recitals, cut above Foster Jenkins)
Margaret Truman - gives new meaning to low lying clouds.
Counter Tenors are all recognizable as such - any farm animal
   is a good comparison; counter tenoring is, after all, falsetto
   singing and I believe is properly considered the fast or junk-food
   of the vocal world.
Have fun folks.  Oh, and I mean no dis-respect to Mme Lehamann
for her artistry -- one of the greats, if at times over estimated.
MrMyster
santa faux

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org