Subject: Re: Tannhaeuser
From: Jeffrey Friedman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:50:27 -0500

> I was at the performance today, and, in the theatre, there were no volume
> problems, as I gather there were on the broadcast.  The shepherd boy was
an
> understudy, but acted the part well.  All the singing was good, except
for Michelle
> de Young's.  She has a serious wobble.  Sieffert's vibrato occasionally
got
> out of hand, but, on the whole, his performance was good.  Hampson and
Voight
> sang extremely well.  His Abendstern was the highlight of the afternoon.
> thought the conducting was OK, with some really fine orchestral playing
at times.
>  The real star of the show was Kurt Moll.  He is just fantastic.  His tone
> quality is amazing--what a beautiful tone.
>
> Jeff Dailey

I was also in the house, up front on the right, and your review is exactly
what I heard.  Someone reviewing the broadcast thought de Young the
most steady, but she was the only one with pitch problems I detected
(great legs, though).  Moll was amazing, though he had a few problems
when he had to change pitch quickly.  I think it is a serious question
whether the broadcasts distort the sound so severely they really no
longer give an accurate picture of what you hear in the house.

Jeff (also at Kat'a Kabanova and tonight's Rodelinda, and needing
a rest)

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org