Subject: Chicken Tetrazzini
From: George Mott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 08:24:00 -0500

I think I knew the taste of Chicken Tetrazzini long before I had the
opportunity of hearing the voice of it’s dedicatee!  When I was a teenager
Chicken Tetrazzini was a popular dish, I can remember it at Schraft’s in
NYC.  It was basically a béchamel flavored with sherry over pasta (usually
spaghetti) and chicken pieces, sprinkled with parmesan and breadcrumbs,
dotted with butter and baked until crusty.  The Christian Science Monitor
gives a recipe (without the sherry) for “Chicken Tetrazzini” in 1908.  This
was the year in which Luisa Tetrazzini had made her sensational New York
debut as Violetta.  (“Singing that magnificent note (the high E flat at the
end of Sempre libera), Tetrazzini bent to gather up the long train of her
gown and all the while affecting the utmost insouciance and all the while
holding on to that phenomenal high E flat till she had disappeared from
view.  This tour de force brought the house down.”)

Some sources say it was a chef at the Knickerbocker Hotel who devised the
dish in honor of the famous soprano.  Some say it was invented in San
Francisco where the soprano had made her U.S. debut in 1904.

buon appetito!

George

NYC

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;