Subject: Re: San Francisco Opera "Eugene Onegin," 11/27/04
From: Kirsten Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 28 Nov 2004 21:41:11 -0800

Chris Mullins wrote:

> For me - and this is a personal reading (to ward off the
>ninny comments of those who can't read well) - Onegin is a repressed,
>perhaps unconcious homosexual. He tells Tatyana it is useless to "expect
>[him] to change," and that he can only love her as a sister. A cad would
>have slept with the young girl and moved on.

Interesting observation - I was reading the notes written by the
director Schaaf and the dramaturg Willaschek and this approach may well
have been intentional.
To quote: "Underlying this catastrophe is the unacknowledged suggestion
that Onegin has experienced feelings for Lensky transcending pure
friendship. But instead of openly allowing his emotions, Onegin ends up
entangling three people in a sickly "game of passion".

Perhaps there's a little bit of Tchaikovsky's experience in Onegin's
character. Despite being homosexual himself, marrying the girl who had
hopelessly fallen in love with him and written passionate letters to
him, in order to save her from committing suicide as she threatened.

BTW do listers have favorite Onegin? Dmitri? Thomas Allen? Anyone else?

Kirsten Lee

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;