Subject: ANGELS in AMERICA in Paris is awesome!
From: otello1999 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:19:14 +0100

I went to the last performance on Monday evening.
What Alan forgot to mention is that all voices are amplified (or maybe I
missed
this point in his post).
Before going, I had read that "slight amplification" was used, but I did not
expect
all performers to sing with a microphone! To me, this raises the question
whether
this work should be called an opera or a musical or a vocal drama or
something else.
The second problem is that some voices, when amplified, can be
very ugly. E.g. Barbara Hendricks's voice is not that pretty with a mike in
a vast theater
(on the other hand, without mike, she couldn't be heard!).
Besides, Julia Migenes is a great actress/dancer but she has had vocal flaws
for many years.
And Roberta Alexander is very charismatic, no doubt but her voice is gone
now, and
that is very sad.
The younger singers, on the other hand, have fresh radiant voices, so why
amplify them???
For the rest, I agree with Alan: wonderful staging, talented actors, very
tearful plot, exquisite
winged angels...
Once I came over this uneasiness caused by the unexpected full
amplification,
I had a very good evening. I certainly will enjoy these Angels once again
when I watch it on TV tomorrow.

Gilles, Paris

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;