Subject: Re: Hermine's Rant/ Privacy issues
From: Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:40:42 -0800

At 09:21 AM 11/30/2004 -0500, William Fregosi wrote:

>I agree with Greg entirely and for very good reason.  Some list
>members write and ask if a review I have posted or an opinion or
>history piece I have written might be forwarded to some person or
>other forum. But I am frequently surprised to get responses from
>people I do not know--sometimes highly placed performers--concerning
>things I have written here that have arrived on their computers by
>routes completely unknown to me.

The assumption that 'people I do not know' are not subscribers is
unsupported. We 'know' only those subscribers who contribute to the
discussion. There are lurkers aplenty on the list and much as we may wish
they would step forward and post, they choose not to do so.

Posts to opera-l are public in many senses. When you post, remember that
the archives are open and that googling an artist can bring up a note
written (and possibly regretted) years ago. I just checked: a post I wrote
in 1995 popped up when I used Google to check the tenor's name.

Come to think of it, just that sort of access may inhibit the lurkers.

Mike
--
http://www.mrichter.com/

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  [log in to unmask]

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;