Subject: Re: Acting On Stage
From: Ivy Lin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 30 Nov 2004 09:18:58 -0500

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 07:21:33 -0500, Joe Black <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>How do Opera Singers become so expressive on stage in competition or
audition situations? Is it the set, the costumes, and the co-stars—the
piano and the stage? What kinds of movements are appropriate/allowed in
such a setting?  How much is too much?
>Has anyone had a problem?  What did they do to fix it?

Maybe they draw from their personal experiences to find the appropriate
emotion or gesture. For instance, if a soprano was set to sing Dyer's
Wife, and was told that she needed to convey more ANNOYANCE and
FRUSTRATION, she might think, "Ok I lurk on this internet listserv and
there's this guy with the initials JB who constantly peppers the list with
these annoying, pretentious statements and questions, and I just wish he'd
go away." And thus, when she sings Dyer's Wife, her anger and irritation
at Barak and her whole life become more convincing, more heartfelt.
Ivy

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;