Subject: ARTISTS' EVENTS!!
From: Bob Dilley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:17:25 -0500

Forsooth Opera Lovers!

Today we can celebrate the birthday of Gaetano Donizetti (1797-1848).

Also, Sullivan's "The Rose of Persia," and Satie's ballet, "Relache"
premiered on this date in 1889 and 1924, respectively.

Let us remember the following artists who passed away on this date:

    Giulia Grisi (1811-1869).
    Erich Korngold (1897-1957).
    Ernesto Lecuona (1896-1993).
    Giacomo Puccini (1858-1924).
    Claudio Montverdi (1567-1643).

Of note:  On this date in 1941 Jan Peerce made his MET debut as Alfredo
in "La Traviata."  Also, Emma Calve made her MET debut in 1893 as
Santuzza in "Cavaleria Rusticana."  The first performance of an Italian
opera in the United States took place in 1825 with the "Barber of
Seville."  And in 1948 Verdi's "Otello" was the first opera to be
televised from the MET.

The quote for today is: "Before I compose a piece, I walk around it
several times accompanied by myself."  Eric Satie.  As graciously
provided by Mrs. Mickey Dove with my heartfelt thanks and appreciation
for her contributions.

As always, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Gaetano and all forum members who
share their birthday with him.

JUSSI LIVES and RULES!!

Pace e Gioia,

Bob Dilley
Morituri te Salutamus

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;