Subject: Re: Vanessa in Los Angeles; other issues
From: Chris Mullins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:31:26 -0500

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:51:26 -0800, Jay <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>To read the person paid for reviewing Vanessa in the Loa Angeles Times
>see;
>
>http://www.calendarlive.com/music/

Oh, I hated the Swed review, but forgot it almost immediately. No one
denied access to the LA Times site should fret. Swed, the reviewer in
question (and questionable!), goes on and on about his hatred for Barber's
music, and proudly describes never having finished listening to the opera
on previous attempts, and then, as grudging praise for a production he
apparently did enjoy, focuses on te Kanawa and conductor Simone Young.

I've read that Barber, swamped by the rising tide of serialism and other
avant-garde musical trends, tried to find ways to adapt his basic lyrical
impulse to the times. The resulting compromises can be disappointing, and I
don't find all that much of his work compelling. But the violin concerto
alone secures him a place in American music history. As for "Vanessa," I
don't know it well, but I am looking forward to Wednesday's performance.

On OTHER ISSUES - I have received an e-mail from the person who had written
Hermine a message off-list, resulting in a notable brou-haha. I am not
going to reply personally to his message, but as this person mentions that
he reads the archives, he can read this -

I did not participate in the discussion regarding your message to Hermine,
so why one earth you selected me for exposure to your whiny defense, I
don't know. If you can read the archives, you can join the list. Otherwise,
bug off.

There. That was pleasant, wasn't it?

EMBARASSEMENT FOR BRAUN - just got an e-mail from SF Opera urging me to
attend the last "Dutchman" (no thanks) and quoting praise (deserved, I
feel) for the "Onegin." Two quotes praise Bezcala, and one praises Prokina.
Russell Braun, only the singer of the title role? Nada. Zip.

Ouch!

Over and out...

C Mullins

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;