Subject: Re: "Taming of the Shrew" operas
From: paolo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:09:27 -0500

I saw the Wolf Trap production with Moffo.  It was gorgeous - albeit Moffo
sang much of it in bad voice.  She looked terrific and acted up a storm.  If
memory serves me Kiss Me Kate was going on at about the same time at Wolf
Trap and the opera company made use of the Kate sets and costumes . . . with
Petruchio making his entrance on a motor cycle!  Elizabeth Knighton was
Bianca and Spiro Malas Petruchio.

Back then (18 years old) I used to go backstage and did so hear getting to
meet the above stars as well as Sarah Caldwell, (who earlier in the night
almost knocked me down).

The music was lovely - kind of that early 20th century Italian American
sound familiar in Menotti, but distinct.  I remember in particular one scene
before a full moon toward the end that was ravishing.  Moffo's voice
improved as the evening went on and her performance remains with me years
later.

Unfortunately (and typically), the audience diminished with every scene so
that by the end there weren't many folk left - and the last scenes were the
best!

p.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;