Subject: Hugh Smith
From: "Vincent W.G.M. Thunnissen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:03:57 +0100

Dear list,

Hugh Smith, the American tenor, made his second appearance at the
Concertgebouw in Amsterdam in a matinee concert performance of Puccini's
Manon Lescaut. He sang Des Grieux to great public acclaim; he has also
sung at the Met and in San Francisco, according to the programme (sang
Cavaradossi at The Met). Any comments from our New York-based listers
about him? My impression: huge voice, theatrical personality in both
senses of the word (the person in the seat next to mine said that he
looked like a  cross between Liberace and Pavarotti), complete
involvement in the role (always a plus) to the point of overacting.
Perhaps played it too much like a comedy in the first half but certainly
moving in the last two acts. Larger than life singing and acting that
has perhaps gone out of fashion and is at times in questionable taste
but by Jove, it is exciting!

Best regards from Amsterdam,

Vincent Thunnissen

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;