Subject: Re: "Taming of the Shrew" operas
From: Mike Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 12:19:20 -0800

At 01:51 PM 11/29/2004 -0500, Gualtier Malde wrote:

>There is also a German opera called Der Widerspenstigen Z?hmung by one
>Goetz that premiered in Mannheim in 1874.  I think this is either may be a
>singspiel or it has recitatives.  I read that it resembles a German attempt
>at Italian opera buffa and was very popular.  There is a recording made in
>the 1940's with Frick on Preiser.  Anyone heard this recording?  How is the
>piece?  Should some enterprising opera company do it?

I have the advantage of being able to share my 'finds' and have done so
with the Goetz. The opera is joyful if not meaty; I'm tempted to say that
if you like "Die lustigen Weiber von Windsor", you'll like this one - but
that won't help those who do not know the Nicolai. Both are on the Opera
from Germany CD-ROM, along with other works less familiar in the West but
in my opinion worth at least your investment to hear them. For one, you
might try Pfitzner's Der Christ-Elflein for this holiday season.

I find the charm of German opera quite different from but as appealing as
that of opera from other lands. Of course, 'charm' is not a term that
springs to mind with Wagner, but the world of German opera began before and
has continued after Wagner.

Mike
--
http://www.mrichter.com/

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;