Subject: Re: Is Zarzuela still performed?
From: Ariel Rios <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 09:43:54 -0600

Zarzuela is mostly presented in Hispanic countries. Teatro de la
Zarzuela in Madrid presented this year among others, "Doña Francisquita"
with Jose Bros and Los Claveles for example.
In Mexico City in the past year we had La Verbena de la Paloma,
Las Leandras, Doña Francisquita, and several Zarzuela Anthologies, etc.
Monterrey had La Revoltosa. Argentina has also zarzuela regularly I
think.

Zarzuela is zarzuela. A very complex genre made by several different
(sub)genres: Zarzuela Barroca, Género Chico, Género Ínfimo,
Zarzuela Grande, Teatro de Revista just to name a few.
Each (sub)genre has specific points that make them different
from one another.

Besides the well known repertorie there are also
regional zarzuelas- catalonian (Canco d'Amor I de Guerra),
mexican (Chin Chun Chan), from Venezuela (Alma LLanera) or cuban (Maria
la O).

Don Gil de Alcala, Marina and El Gato Montes are operas and not
Zarzuelas.

ariel

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;