Subject: Re: Ariadne auf Naxos--O'Connor, Powell, Hayes--Best Wishes
From: Christopher Caleffi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Nov 2004 10:01:17 -0500

I would find it difficult to compare Janowitz and Hillbebrecht, Rysanek or Reining in the same sentence, or to the same repertoire or style of singing.  I heard Janowitz many times as Ariadne in Vienna in the late 70s, but never was I as thrilled as I was hearing the beauty of a Rysanek or Jessye Norman in the title role.  Janowitz was not as technically secure as the others, although she had a voice, in my opinion, better suited to Mozart than R. Strauss.

Christopher

Christopher Caleffi
Hillebrecht is a
> fine actress with a fine voice, she lacks the complete fullness of
> Janowitz and Rysanek and Reining.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org
This OPERA-L e-mail was delivered to:  &*TO;