Subject: Re: Kathleen Battle in Buffalo
From: Gualtier Malde <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:02:14 -0400

Glad to hear that Ms. Battle delivered the goods.  Her program is familiar
from many New York recitals in the past.  I am glad to hear that she was
always audible.  Unfortunately at Carnegie Hall, she has been known to use
her first two numbers to warm up and therefore sound inaudible and muffled
for the first 10 or 15 minutes or so. At one recital after a
toneless "Tornami a Vagheggiar" at Carnegie an audience member in a side
box delivered a tirade to her on stage ("What we pay for these tickets and
we can't hear you!).  This was around 1995 or so. She can make up for this
by delivering many exciting encores at the end.

BTW: Shane who was her accompanist?  How did she interact with him/her?  I
have rarely seen her lately with the same accompanist twice.  Also, did she
seem to be plumper than she has been in the past?  How was the turnout?
Did she sell out the hall?  Thanks again for the report.

Gualtier Malde

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org