Subject: Re: Ricciarelli's Angelica
From: Lindoro Almaviva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:15:58 -0700

Hello all:

Thank you all for all the insights as to where I can find a
visual version of Suor Angelica. Please keep them coming.....

Now to the matter at hand: Ricciarelli. I have her Angelica and
I was not impressed. In fact, I listened to it once and got in
the bottom of the pile right away, right beside Sutherland's. I
found her voice not secure throughout, her upper register weak
and unsupported. For some people that translated into
characterization, for me it translated into a voice not capable
of meeting the demands of the role. I will not deny the fact
that the recording deserves reissue for the commanding
performance of Cosotto as the Zia; a truly mesmerizing
performance. Riciarelli didn't even come close to meet the
technical demands of this role.

Her career always will be a mystery to me. The voice was indeed
beautiful, but there was no technique to speak about. At best I
always heard a Mozart singer who could have grown into heavier
parts and should by now be dominating the stage with her
portrayals of the Verdi heroines we all love. Unfortunately she
squandered her talent and her voice in the pursue of a
repertoire that could have been hers if she had been patient. I
think we are the losers because we didn't witness her Contessa
Almaviva, Elvira, Fiordiliggi, Ilia, Servilia....

I will always use her career as a model of what not to do with a
voice.

Have a great day all,
Lindoro

> For those wanting to hear what made Ricciarelli a star, I'd
> point anyone to
> her ANGELICA recording - it's worth seeking out in secondhand
> LP shops.

=====
Lindoro Almaviva
Primo Tenore Assolutissimo
"The vocal life of a soprano has four stages:
  1. Bel canto, 2. Can belto, 3.Can't belto, 4. Can't canto..."

Madame VeraGalupe-Borzkh

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org