Subject: LOC Rheingold
From: Greg Berg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Oct 2004 19:52:54 -0700

Bergitas here.

I've been out of circulation - and am back in
circulation only briefly - thanks to a nasty mishap
which my wife had two weeks ago which will result in
arthoscopic knee surgery this Thursday. Life has been
a little too nuts as of late and Opera-L,
unfortunately, is one of the things which slips to the
back burner.  I hope I haven't been missing anything
too interesting.

Fellow Lister Marshall Anderson and I saw the Lyric
Das Rheingold two weeks ago and really enjoyed what we
saw and heard.  The production is certainly
entertaining, by and large - and those famous
bungee-bouncing Rheinmaidens were even more believable
than the last time.  James Morris was once again a
wonderful Wotan;  he is aging tremendously well.
Beside him was a strong cast which included two names
I hardly knew at all . . . Oleg Bryjak (Alberich) and
Bonaventura Bottone (Loge), who sang up a storm.
Larissa Diadkova was an imposing Fricka; one just
regrets that there isn't more to the part .Erin Wall
was a wonderful Freia and one can imagine Eva being in
her future.  Jill Grove produced some impressive
sounds as Erda.  Andrea Silvestrelli, Raymond Aceto
and Mark Baker were some of the other principals.   It
was a very nice night at the opera.

Just to show how crazy life has been,  I bought two
DVDs that night and have yet to watch even a moment of
either of them. . . One was a Decca documentary about
Kathleen Ferrier - the other is the VAI DVD of Peter
Pears both performing and rehearsing music of Britten.
 (I'll review it for the NATS Journal.)   Anyone on
the List seen the Ferrier yet?

Another question. . .   Does anyone on the List have
anything to say about the Jarmilla Novotna DVD which
has just come out ( I think Hungaraton is the label)?
 It looks good from the description on the back,  but
i would love to hear from the Lister.    Thanks.

Back to my Florence Nightingale Duties. . .

Bergitas
Greg Berg
Racine, WI