Subject: Kathline Battle/accompanists
From: joeblack20041 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 17 Oct 2004 11:58:14 -0400

As a professional singer gets older, there is a certain insecurity to comes about with the accompanist, especially if you have not rehearsed or worked with them often. The acoustics of the room can also be quite unnerving.

I think I have told the story of the first time that I sang The Trumpet Shall Sound with Orchestra, the trumpet seemed to hit me in the head. The first time, I sang 20th Century Music with Orchestra, I did not know where my pitch was coming from. Everything seemed to be spread out all over.

Ms. Battle is an extraordinary musician, as well as an excellent singer. I do not find the situation unusual. Talking to the audience, there should be more, as part of the educational process.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org