Subject: Guiliani
From: Jay Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:52:36 EDT

Oh, Dan, not worth fighting about...

Do you live in New York?

I do. I live in Manhattan. Before Guiliani there were always tall young black
men on my street corner, peddling drugs. Once, while walking out with my wife
and two adolescent sons, one of them even offered them to the whole family
(for a price!).

And, as a friend pointed out, my neighborhood had everything -- there were
prostitutes at the other corner! Not infrequently, while I was walking the dog,
I saw sexual acts performed in the street -- amusing the first time, perhaps,
but ultimately tiresome.

The police told me nothing could be done for either problem -- the drug
dealers didn't have the stuff on them, but hidden in neighboring mailboxes, or hub
caps. And there was no effort to remove the hookers from the street, despite
the AIDS epidemic. Crime was up and, I was told, unstoppable.

I saw, with my own eyes, this great city reborn and reclaimed. The parks got
private financing, and became more beautiful than ever before. The museums
thrived. Every day, in every way, life in Manhattan got better.

It's a shame, Dan, you weren't here to see it...

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org