Subject: Re: Terrific Tenor & Bravissimo Baritone-Michael SCHADE & Russell BRAUN together
From: "Mark S." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:59:48 -0700

I would go a step further.  Mr. Schade, within his fach, has one of the most beautiful tenor voices of the past hundred years, and the intepretation of the highest level.  As tenor Lieder singing goes, I would say his is on a level with Leo Slezak's electrical reordings (minus the head tones, of course).  It would be hard to praise Ms. Maule too much.  The accompaniment was uniformly of a very high order.  In Der Musensohn, in which the piano is in perpertual motion, she brought off the several minutes of constantly fast notes not only perfectly, but very musically. Mr. Braun is a wonderful musician with marvelous style but, while his voice is quite good, I would not consider it to be at Mr. Schade's level. Bravi to all.

Mark S.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
Last night the Vocal Arts Society had the pleasure of welcoming two of the
most talented Canadian singers of our time in a magnificent joint recital.
MICHAEL SCHADE has to have one of the most beautiful tenor voices around! Pair that
up with RUSSELL BRAUN's baritone, and Mr.Braun's wife, CAROLYN MAULE, at the
piano, and it spells SUCCESS!...

ALAN J. SAVADA, CTC
Washington, DC

"

"Very nice, but tell me frankly, don't you think it would have been better if it had been you who had died, and your uncle who had written the Funeral March"  Gioacchino Rossini, on being shown funeral music for Giacomo Meyerbeer, composed by Meyerbeer's nephew.

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org