Subject: Re: Salome Wednesday 3/31
From: Toby Hekler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2004 19:13:32 -0500

  As the last note sounded, there was a very loud and clear "boo" that came
  from somewhere in the balcony or family circle but this was quickly covered with
  more cheering than you usually here these days at the Met. Anyone else there
  tonight?
  Michael McP

We were there, too.  The fool who booed was sitting about 3 seats to my left.  I didn't get a look at him, but when Mattila bared all during the dance, he let out a fairly loud "ugh".  He was obviously someone  with an agenda.  Did you notice the videocams?  I'm disappointed that the Met won't repeat this again until 06-07.  They could substitute it for all the boring poorly-cast chestnuts they do every year.  Why not just keep running Salome every year until the full houses slack off?
Toby Hekler

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org