Subject: Picking tenors
From: "laurence, xan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2004 12:39:50 -0600

I contributed my list of baritones and basses, but I wasn't going to weigh
in on the subject of tenors, because it's not a voice type I particularly
favor. In fact, I can't come up with a list of ten tenors I regard as "top"
by any criteria. However, I will submit a few names anyway, because in one
way or another these tenors have captured my attention, and in some cases
devotion, with qualities that transcend any discussion of voice type.

In the attention and devotion category, meaning that I will make special
efforts to see them live and if possible try to get backstage afterward:

Placido Domingo
Bruce Ford

In the attention category, with an eye to the future rather than the past:

Juan Diego Florez
Joseph Calleja

And in the category of appreciation for character tenors, because they don't
often get the mentions they deserve:

Anthony Laciura

Others have pleased me in the past, and no doubt some will please in the
future, but these are my choices for the present.

Xan Laurence (Ms.)

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org