Subject: Re: Pet singers
From: Christopher Caleffi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Apr 2004 16:20:24 -0500

My choice for "pet singer" would have to be Heinz Zednik, whom I first saw
and heard as the Tanzmeister in ARIADNE AUF NAXOS in the Wiener Staatsoper
premiere on November 20, 1976.  (A performance to remember: Edita Gruberova
as Zerbinetta, James King als Bacchus, Agnes Baltsa als the Composer,
Gundula Janowitz als Ariadne was not quite as memorable, though.)  I greatly
admired his singing as the Tanzmeister, and as with all R. Strauss, the role
is really very challenging if you sing all the notes.

A music student at the time, I told my fellow students (in the Stehplatz
section of the Gallerie) from the Hochschule, that I thought "here will be a
great character voice, very strong, very focused."  God, I was only 19 at
the time.  I followed his career (Wagner, Strauss, etc.) over the years that
I remained in Europe until 1994.  In the USA, it is much more difficult to
follow the career of a singer you admire simply because of the distances.
There's also the fact that some European singers find it difficult to
further their careers in the USA, and won't even bother to come, or are
never invited.......

Chris

                    http://www.OPERA-L.org

------=_NextPart_000_0071_01C41806.739E96A0--
ReSent-Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 11:06:24 -0400 (EDT)
ReSent-From: [log in to unmask]
ReSent-To: [log in to unmask]
ReSent-Subject: Re: Pet singers
ReSent-Message-ID: <[log in to unmask]>